Claire's Eco Store - About going Eco
Eco is short for ecology, and it is the relationship between humans and the environment, and how our actions effect the environment. Being ‘eco’ or ‘eco friendly,’ we mean that our actions do not affect the environment/affect the environment very little, and we are preserving our planet. Also, not being eco creates greenhouse gases which are depleting our ozone layer, which is a bad thing since the ozone layer keeps harmful rays like ultra-violet from the sun out of Earth’s surface: if it reaches us, we may not survive!
Eco is a great way to live as it is not as hard work as many people say it is. Actually, it is usually easier, cheaper and healthier. For example, having a home-made sandwich is a reusable wrapper is always a lot cheaper and healthier, and will probably taste better than supermarket produce too. To help make changed to make your life more eco, here’s what you can do:
• Instead of wasting money on tumble dryers, dry laundry by hanging them on the washing line.
• Walk or cycle if you can to save petrol costs and pollution, making your journey happier, cheaper, eco-friendly and safer. If not, the bus is a better option than your own car.
• Try not to use plastic bags, especially at shops. Look for alternatives.
• Keep on you a reusable bottle that you can refill with tap water. Mineral water is much more expensive, and is not any healthier or tastier.
• Grow your own fruit, vegetables and herbs.
• Buy something once and make it last. Don’t clutter up your life buying loads of cheap, disposable possessions that you will have to buy over again.
• If something of yours breaks, fix it instead of just throwing it away.